Writing the title in Hebrew makes me feel more creative. We'll just pretend it's actually an interesting heading.
So, hello, everybody! I've now been back in Israel a week and a half since my Poland and Italy trips. I'm not going to go into so much detail on those, as I'm working on photo books, complete with journal entries, that I hope to share with everyone when they're finished. I will say, though, that Poland was an extremely intense emotional experience, that made me identify even more than before with the Jewish nation and the Land of Israel, and left me feeling mostly appreciative of everything and everyone I'm blessed to have in my life. Going to Italy afterward was strange, but it also felt fitting, in that I was seizing the day and grasping life, something I really felt the urge to do after hearing so much about people whose mere bathroom schedule (one of many examples) was limited.
Italy was absolutely stunning. I've been asked which was my favorite part, and I'm not sure I can pinpoint it since every place we went had an entirely different feel. I can say that I was astounded by the significance and antique-ness of every building I walked by in Rome (so much so that one can't even attempt to figure out what exactly is everything she's walking by), I thoroughly enjoyed seeing The School of Athens by Raphael in the Vatican Museums, since I had done research on it the year before and there was an added element of appreciation, and Venice honestly felt like a dream. We were only there for one day and night, but there is certainly no place like it on earth. I'd love to go back sometime and explore more. Finally, I thought it was really important that we made sure to visit the Great Synagogues in Rome, Florence, and Venice (and to try out the Kosher restaurants, of course), especially in juxtaposition to my Poland trip. I felt the need to acknowledge the Jewish life that existed there before (albeit small), and it was fantastic to see so many old relics from the Jewish communities (some dating back to the 1500s)!
And now to be back in Israel...
Well, I thought that after Italy, Israel wouldn't seem so ideal or beautiful to me anymore, but it's still just as stunning as it's always been. Possibly even MORE stunning, since I'm coming back to it as "home" after having traveled from hostel to hostel for a while. Since I came back, I had a nice quiet Shabbat by myself at the Wolffe's house (the family I frequent every time I don't feel like finding somewhere else to go). Then I had a wonderful Seder (one night, only!) at my Rabbi's house. We actually sat in the living room on couches in a circle for most of it, which I thought was very smart and innovative. We sang a LOT, heard some interesting questions from his children (for which they got chocolate chips as rewards), got to play with his Ethiopian foster child, and experience what it means to eat matzah according to those who think you have to eat a "c'zait" every time it's a mitzvah (basically half a matzah, times 5 times you're specifically supposed to eat matzah = too much matzah). But luckily they just served soup for dinner and fruit salad for dessert, so we managed.
The weather has been beautiful since I got back, so I've been taking advantage: going on picnics, long walks, reading in the parks, starting training for a half-marathon, treating myself to Diet Iced Aroma Coffee (basically a diet frappuccino). It's been fantastic!
This past Shabbat I had my first Shabbat on a Kibbutz up north - Kibbutz Sdeh Eliyahu (their claim to fame is spice manufacturing), where my two best friends from home were volunteering for vacation. It was really hot and dry outside, but I came early enough on Friday to go to the pond, and then on Shabbat I just took frequent breaks by napping and reading and hanging out inside the cooler apartment.
As for the rest of vacation - I'm going to have a quiet chag back at the Wolffe's, then hopefully go to the beach in Tel Aviv on Tuesday. Wednesday and Thursday I'm going on an optional Tiyul with the Midrasha to the Golan (which apparently will also involve some swimming). Then for Shabbat, 5 of us from home are staying at our friend's apartment in Efrat (she's doing Sheirut Leumi this year), cooking shabbat food together, and having a grown-up reunion!! We're all very excited.
I go back to school Sunday afternoon, starting off with special programming for Yom HaShoah. I'm a little nervous to start back, but I'm also excited to end the year on a good note. I plan on switching some classes around, yet again, since I have the opportunity, and I think I'll start volunteer work on Tuesday afternoons. It's going to be a crazy couple of months! Wish me luck!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment