Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Yom HaZikaron, Yom HaAtzma'ut

Starting where I left off...last Wednesday.

Getting back to class has been easier than expected. Even the three hour morning classes are moving quickly and I don't find myself bored or annoyed at all. So that's a good sign. Wednesday afternoon I had my tour class, Siyurim. We saw the outside of the old French hospital, used to give health care during the early 1900s, to win over and convert citizens. We then saw the "New Gate" - "Sha'ar Chadash", which was used as a short cut into the Old City, as opposed to Sha'ar Yafo (Jaffa Gate), which is purposely sideways and winding to serve as a defense against intruders. Next, we visited the Underground Prison...not actually underground, but rather the inmates were members of the underground movements (Lechi, Palmach) during the British Mandate. Also not actually a prison anymore, but a museum that displays what life in the prison was like and focuses on various characters who fought for the State of Israel and were imprisoned at that time.

Thursday I had another day of interesting classes, including one that really has been my favorite all year (Writings of Rav Kook), but that I crazily left for a bit to try out another class. But I'm really glad I went back. Thursday night we heard from a speaker, the mother of a soldier who fell in battle in 2002. It was beautiful to hear her speak about her son, Chagai, and everything he accomplished in his 24 years. One of the most interesting parts of the talk was how she related to her sons wife, Nourit, widowed at only 22, and how happy the mother is to see Nourit now thriving with her new husband and family, and how they're still in touch and very close. That really touched me.

Shabbat in the Midrasha was fun, as usual, albeit a little long, now that it ends later. I wasn't feeling well Friday night, so I went to sleep early. On Shabbat day I attempted to go to the new Chorva Shul for davening, but it was so crowded I ended up just going to Yeshivat Hakotel. But that was fine, too. Then I had lunch, played some bananagrams, went for a walk with my good friend, Aviva, read, went for another walk, and generally passed the time until Shabbat was over. Saturday night I had my own private dance party to get rid of pent up energy, and then watched August Rush with Tova.

Sunday was a really long day. I had class in the morning. Then I went to the central bus station to pick up Choir CDs and sweatshirts. Then I had a doctor's appointment, where I got antibiotics for the sinus infection I've apparently had for over two weeks. Then I came back to hear the husband of one of our staff members talk about his cousin and friend who was killed in a terrorist attack in their second year of Yeshiva. So began Yom HaZikaron.

Yom HaZikaron, Memorial Day, was very confusing. I felt part of the nation, and yet distant. I felt a duty to the nation, and also fear in having to find a way to serve the nation that is as dedicated as fighting in the army. I felt proud of the nation and those who fell fighting, but also uncertain of what exactly they're fighting for. We went to Har Hertzl, where fallen soldiers are buried (if they want to be) for a national ceremony, which was moving, even though it was all in Hebrew. In groups, we were each given the biographies of soldiers buried on the mountain, and when we visited the graves, many of us found family members there, too, who were touched by our visit and also shared stories with us. The cousin of my soldier, Shmuel Tamner, was at the grave, and told us about his life and how he fell. Sometimes we nodded along even though we didn't understand what she was saying, but I could tell from her emotions that it was important for her to talk about him more than it was important for us to understand.

After having a class to help transition into Yom HaAtzma'ut, we went to the Kotel to watch the flag being raised from half mast to full, from mourning to celebration. Then we sang the Yom HaAtzma'ut prayers, dance, and were off to our Independence Day party with the Israel program. Lots of dancing and singing and celebration. Today, we went on a Tiyul to the Castel and some meandering path, just because that's what Israelis do on Yom HaAtzma'ut. Then we came back for a BBQ for the same reason (though I went running on the treadmill, instead). It's such an experience to be here for these days. Something I've been thinking about is also the uniqueness and somewhat bizarreness of the juxtaposition between the two holidays. You could say that it's to understand the importance of the sacrifice of the fallen soldiers, and also to appreciate what had to happen to create the State of Israel. But there may be something more to it, I'm just not sure what.

Now I have the night off, and then tomorrow we're going back to regular classes until Yom Yerushalayim in a few weeks. Happy Israeli Independence Day, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment