Hi, everyone! Hope you had a wonderful Purim sameach! My Purim felt so long, because we celebrated on Monday since we live in Jerusalem, but we began festivities on Sunday, volunteering in places that were already celebrating the holiday.
But to back up a little -
The rest of last week was somewhat uneventful, except for a discussion with one of our Rabbis about his experience fostering a baby for the past six months. That was quite moving, and educational. (I think I decided that he's my favorite Rabbi!) We then had a shabbat midrasha, which was a good combination of social and relaxing. Saturday night I watched a movie with my friend and got a great night of sleep (always good). Now, for Purim...
On Sunday, I went to an old age home to sing and dance and bring Purim cheer. It was really fun and sweet, and getting back in the pouring rain was an adventure, as well. Sunday afternoon was a free afternoon, and then Sunday night we had megillah reading and a mock wedding - just for kicks. We all were given different, very specific roles to play in the wedding, and I would have thoroughly enjoyed myself what with the costumes and the dancing, had the entire event not been taken a little too literal for my taste. It was amusing, though, I'll admit.
Then, we went to a public Purim Chagigah (celebration) for girls only in the center of town, which was an amazing experience. You could feel the entire room moving together, and it was hot and sweaty and smiley and spiritual and squished and ridiculous all at the same time. I loved it. Monday morning we woke up for a late megillah reading, I then went for a very refreshing run (even though it threathened to rain again), and then we had a Purim seudah (festive meal) accompanied by a Purim shpiel (mocking play) and a Purim tisch (singing fest). It was all lots of fun - and I especially enjoyed my three costumes: clown for Purim cheer (old age home), Wedding Crasher (mock wedding), and Cleopatra (Purim seudah). Then I watched another movie with a different friend, met up with a Brandeis friend for coffee, and then went to sleep. Which brings us to today!
Piano continues to uplift my week, especially since I've begun to improvise...though very sketchily. In drama, we continue to work on our biblical monologues, and I'm finding Saul a very challenging and interesting persona to take on. And now, there's a lot to do before leaving for Poland this coming Sunday, especially since almost immediately after my return I leave for Italy, and after that, it's Pesach. I'm trying not to let it overwhelm me - it's a lot, but it's a lot to look forward to.
I probably won't be writing until after Italy...and I doubt I'll be able to include all of my adventures even then, but I will do my best. Until then!
Gabriella
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment