Wednesday, August 26, 2009

CLASSES!!!

  Hi again!  I know I said once a week, but it's the first few days so of course there are a lot of new developments.

  So, today we signed up for classes.  It took about three hours to go through the classes, and then another half and hour to fill out the forms and hand them in.  It's such an intense schedule, it's a little intimidating, but I know that once we start time will fly and I'll enjoy the intellectual stimulation.

  There are a couple of classes that I'm super excited about.  One is 3 hours a week (split into two classes), where we'll be learning about 8 chapters of Chumash every week, and will ultimately finish the ENTIRE five books.  It's an intense course made to reinforce things we've learned in the past and also solidify our knowledge of where in the books each event takes place (and, in some cases, be reminded that what we consider a Chumash event is actually a commentary).  

   Another course is an Educational Leadership Program, where a class on methodology combined with a practical class will allow those of us taking the course to obtain certificates, and will give me a head start on learning how to teach both secular and Judaic material.  I'm also going to do 3 hours of community service tutoring Israelis in English.  I can't wait for all of the hands-on applications.

  I'm already learning a few new hebrew words, although the process will be slow for a while.  I learned that Tam-Tam means very tasty, Kaspomat = ATM machine, and instead of saying lishnot et hakesef (to change the money), it's much more accurate to say lihachlif et hakesef, to exchange the money.  I also had a funny moment where I tried to pay with coins that I thought were shekalim, but were actually agarot, which are barely worth anything.

  I can already tell that my skills in modern and classic hebrew will improve immensely, as long as I make it one of my priorities.  Israelis tend to speak to you in English if they don't feel like listening to your broken hebrew, but they'll just have to deal because I WILL get better.

  Okay, time for sleep.  Tomorrow we're having a few info sessions (rules and regulations, etc) and then we're going on a Tiyul (hike), on which it is rumored there will be some water to jump in.  It's definitely hot enough!

Until next time (I'll try to give you a little break),
Gabriella

1 comment:

  1. Gaby, this sounds so great! You are going to be so intimidatingly smart after this year...not that you weren't already! But wow, what great opportunities! Also, if you get a chance, tell us about your first shabbat! I miss you!
    -Naomi

    ReplyDelete