Saturday night we rushed back to the Old City for a bonfire in honor of Lag Ba'omer. So much fun! I even tried roasted banana! Then Sunday morning we took a tiyul (also in honor of Lag Ba'omer) to Givat HaTachmoshet - one of the many points of surprising victory for Israel during the Six Day War. There's been a lot of discussion about that specific war, recently, because Yom Yerushalayim is coming up on Tuesday night! I can't wait to be here for that...what an honor!
Last week was pretty uneventful - another full week of classes. I find that the full weeks go by fairly quickly, and since nothing dramatic happened, this one wasn't any different. My tour class on Wednesday went to Rechov HaNiviim, where we heard one to many stories about different characters that of course I can't remember anymore. We also stopped at the Ethiopian Church, and noted the peculiar juxtaposition of that community and Me'ah She'arim (the super-religious, fanatically reputed community in Yerushalayim). That was interesting, but I found the whole class a little too long (and hot) to handle.
On Friday I had another little Brandeis gathering, which was low-key and fun, as usual. I'll hopefully organize one more before the year ends (5 weeks!) because a lot of people were away with their seminaries or yeshivot and couldn't come.
This past Shabbat I stayed in a Charedi community called Beitar, about 45 minutes away, with two friends of mine. The one related to the family we stayed at, Maxine, is really sweet (and is coming to Brandeis with me!), so of course her family was too. Although, it was kind of crazy with 4 kids under the age of 5 running around. It's definitely a particular lifestyle to choose.
I came back to an uneventful Saturday night, woke up early Sunday to go for a run before it got shmoiling outside, and have had a good two days of learning since then! Those are the best. I'm even rediscovering authors and commentaries that I love, and have dedicated more time than usual to reading the literature. Tonight I'm hanging out with a potential roommate (cross your fingers!) and then tomorrow I have a half day of classes, until Yom Yerushalayim celebration commence at 3:30 sharp! Can't wait!
'Till next time,
Gabriella

No comments:
Post a Comment