Thursday, September 3, 2009

22 Classes and 8 Study Sessions Later...

Wow, that's thirty classes. I did not comprehend the intensity of that until just now, when I counted it out. Just to bring you into my current atmosphere, I am now sitting in what is known as "the square"...literally a square of cobblestone, with benches where seminary and yeshiva people gather to utilize the wifi connection. It's a pretty hysterical combination of a social and an antisocial scene.

So I have an array of interesting and exciting classes to tell you about. As the title implies, though, it would take a little bit too much time to tell you about all of them, so I'll just talk about the more thrilling ones. And they really are thrilling. It's so different to be learning by choice, and for no reason but to gain knowledge, skills, and inspiration. No grades!!! That's probably my favorite part. Firstly, the morning, textual classes. One class's intention is purely to know where to find events in all of the Torah. To know when events occurred, and where to find them in the text. Every week we'll learn another six chapters, and be tested (without a grade!!) on what we've learned so far, cumulatively. Another is to learn in depth a specific book of the Five Books. Really, I've been doing this since high school. But here, I'm on my own until the end of the class when we have a discussion (in Hebrew)! It's very gratifying. I've elected to take all of my morning classes in Hebrew, as well as a few others, and I speak Hebrew to Israelis as often as possible. I really want to improve. LiHitshapeir. To improve. See, you can learn it too!

The next class that was truly invigorating was part of Educational Leadership Program. Can a class be invigorating? Well, I think it was. Part of the way through the class, girls from the southern hemisphere, who have already been taking the classes for half a year, burst into the class and took over. It was an elaborate skit in which there was a teacher, a TA, and briefly a principal. We, the students, remained students, but were quickly given slips of paper describing what type of student we were. This seemingly impromptu skit continued for about thirty minutes, and after we all finally broke character we had a discussion about everything that (intentionally) went wrong. It was hysterical. And educational. All of my teachers have great senses of humor. Or "humour" as some of my friends from England would write. I also signed up for volunteer work, where I will be part of a choir made up of girls from different seminaries. We'll be entertaining and performing for people who need cheering up badly, or who just can't afford it. We also just started organizing the HaRova choir to compete in the seminary competition. I'm going to be one of four directors, and others will also help with the arranging and organization.

One extremely energetic and intellectual class was one I took just yesterday, right as I was about to fall asleep. I wasn't tired for long, though. The teacher likes to move around. A lot. Chairs are no obstacle. If he thinks of something, he may even briefly stand up on a table. It's ridiculous, amusing, and engaging. But about the class itself. It's essentially analyzing chapters of Psalms as literary works. Using parallel structure to find deeper and more specific meaning, etc. It's really fascinating. Beyond all of these classes and about fifteen others, I spend two hours a night reviewing material and learning texts and material of my choice. I began by reading the book of Samuel, since I haven't learned that since about fifth grade. I decided to abandon texts, though, as I am already doing so much of that type of learning, and instead read the essays of a Rabbi on how to find deeper meaning in prayer. I've been finding my own inspiration in prayer recently, especially in such a holy city, so I'm interested in reading others' thoughts on it as well.

Tomorrow I'm meeting up with friends from high school, which is exciting. Even though the girls here are great, it's nice to see people who aren't still getting to know me. This Shabbat, I'm staying at a friend's family friend's house right outside of Tel Aviv. It should be quite different from the Old City! And it's important to take a break from the learning so that I can do it all again next week! And the week after that, and the week after that...

I can't wait! Well, actually, since I just finished my week, I could wait a little. But I'm still excited to gain everything I can from my year here. Next time, I won't have to write as much introduction to my life here, since I won't be experiencing as much of an introduction to my life here. Don't worry, I won't be telling you about everything I'm learning each week.

Oh, I forgot something! This morning I went to the Kotel to pray. The air was still cool, but it was sunny. There was some American celebration going on, and everyone was so excited to be there! Then, as I was in the middle of praying, someone from the men's side blew a shofar so purely, it seemed divine. It was beautiful. Then I finished in silence, and backed away from the Wall. I always feel as if I can almost envision my prayers travelling up the wall, which, from the point of view of one standing at the base of it, seems to go straight on until heaven.

There's something amazing about being here that I'm accustomed to. I can't put a finger on it, but I hope I don't get used to it. I have learned the coffee shop's morning employee's name, though. I have no doubt he'll start to know what to get me before I even enter the cafe, before long! Anyways, I do have the time to write, but that doesn't mean I'm not exhausted as I'm typing. So, until next time!

Gabriella

No comments:

Post a Comment